Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Backyard Baby Alligator

Banding the alligator's mouth shut...using a pink hair rubber band.
Becky and the kids with our backyard gator.
A very happy Reed.
Fearless Cass in pink and purple!
So...A Florida Christmas card picture??? Check out Mr. Cool Reed!
Removing the band and releasing the alligator back into the pond.


The first words out of my mouth were, "That is so NOT cool." This was in response to Becky's, "That is so cool!" Hers was in response to Randy strolling into our bedroom (where the computer is) holding a baby alligator.


Yes, I thought the little guy was cute. I just get a little "fluttery" when I think about the fact that Randy and Reed were down at the pond fishing and this is what they came back with. I KNOW that any body of water in Florida can, and probably does, have alligators. But we haven't seen one at our pond in a few months and I like to pretend that means they aren't there. Obviously, that is a REALLY poor assumption.


Let the record show: I think alligators are cool. I even like seeing them on the bank across the pond...sort of.

We carefully inspected the little guy, snapped a few photos and released him back into the pond. Seeing as how I never saw the little guy before Randy carried him into my bedroom, I'm not too surprised I haven't seen him since.

And for the record, the kids (Reed, in particular and for obvious reasons) received another very serious lecture about the pond being OFF LIMITS unless an adult is with them.

2 comments:

Rich said...

The little gator is AWESOME. Possums, skunks, rabbits, and coyotes are about as wild as our neighborhood gets; nothing as cool as a baby alligator. (Though we did have a squirrel come up out of my toilet once!)

We happened to be searching the web the other day for names of folks we hadn't heard from in a while and came across your blog. Hope you guys are doing well and enjoying Florida. Robin's been keeping a blog at http://texasmom.wordpress.com, so feel free to surf over there and see the pics of our kids.

God bless,

Richard & Robin

Rhonda said...

I definately think that HAS to be this year's Christmas picture.