Thursday, April 22, 2010

The view from our kitchen table

The American Alligator - not so rare or endangered in Florida!
The picture isn't very good (You can click on it to enlarge it some). There ARE, though, some good reasons for that:

1. We don't have a camera with any kind of zoom. (I think this may instantly label us as "bad" parents because I've noticed that all the "good" parents have really fabulous cameras and editing software. I'm guessing Reed and Cass will survive.)

2. I refuse to creep any closer or go to the other side of the pond...It is an alligator after all.

I do, though, enjoy seeing him each morning as he suns himself (It could be a female...I'm using the universal him.) and then he spends the rest of the day in the water at the edge of the pond.

No, the kids don't play in the backyard much - mostly because there is NO shade back there so they prefer the front yard.

He really isn't very big in terms of an alligator - maybe 5 feet. That never really makes my mom feel any better.

2 comments:

Allie in AZ said...

Soooo not normal to have an Alligator in your backyard! Creepy, creepy, creepy. What does Skipper think of "him"?

I guess each region has its creepy, crawly critters...we found 3 scorpions in our house last summer... One was a baby (the most poisonous kind) and was on the wall above Mason's head as he slept! Yikes!

Good luck with your new daily visitor! :)

Love reading your posts and seeing what you guys are up to!!

Chera said...

Yikes!!! I'm terrified of snakes out here in the country...but an alligator?! DOUBLE Yikes!!!! Good to see you posting again by the way and congrats Auntie!! :o)