Friday, October 24, 2008

Coca Cola Space Science Center - Columbus, GA

Cassidy and I forecasting the weather. I may be revealing to much, but this was really fun for me. I found myself going back over there to "track the thunderstorms." Hmmmm...
Reed and Randy (far plane) shooting down enemy craft. Yes, I avoided this ride as it also simulated hurtling and such.

Everybody (Reed is in the far plane) with strong constitutions flying fighter jets


We had a great weekend visit to western Georgia last weekend! They call the part of GA we visited the "Presidential Pathways" because FDR lived in the area and it is the hometown and current home of President and Mrs. Jimmy Carter. And, in case you were getting a false impression, it is also "the boonies." Most of the towns we drove through, including the city of Plains (the Carter's town), probably had less than 1500 people and no lodging. Anyhoo...we drove most of the way and late into the night on Thursday so we would have a full day on Friday to enjoy.

On Friday, we drove to Columbus,GA. It is on the Chattahoochee River (very cool to the history nerd) and, thus, on the GA-AL border. It is also the home of Fort Benning. We went to the Coca Cola Space Science Center on the college campus there. We had a blast (get it...space...blast!)! It is relatively small, but they have a number of cool, interactive exhibits and a planetarium style theater. We picked a fabulous day to go as there were only 2 other families there the whole time. We stayed for over 3 hours playing with all of the gizmos. We also watched a movie about Black Holes. It was interesting (to Randy), nauseating (to me...hurtling through space is not for the faint of stomach) and boring (to 2 small children with the attention spans of gnats and possibly to me who really doesn't care to think about things that are "millions of light years away"). But we had a really good time and it was fun to find something that appealed to all of us!
By-the-by, I finally "landed" my rocket without crashing...it only took me 7 tries and forcing Randy to "go away and quit harassing/heckling me". It really is harder than it looks to keep your little triangle in the middle of the circle! Oh, you might also be wondering if Randy liked forecasting the weather...no, he is apparently "too cool" to forecast pretend weather. Harumph!




1 comment:

RaDora said...

You were in my neck of the woods! I hear that you like comments, and haven't been posting any. I missed y'all at Friendship Retreat. It's not the same without y'all. ~RaDora