Friday, October 24, 2008

Westville Living History Museum

My pioneer family!
Washing clothes demonstration.

Casting lead bullets

Reed with the school master and the mayor

The cotton that had been sent through the gin
The man running the cotton gin. He would stomp on the floor twice and the mules would start to turn the gin. This was SO cool to Randy and I! I have taught about this, but this was the first time I had ever seen it!
Our mule ride through town.
Stopping for a bite of gingerbread made in the cast iron, wood burning cook stove...very good.
Playing checkers outside the tavern. Reed is looking a picture on glass the man was developing.


Reed watching some of the soldiers drill. Duh.
Talking with one of the ladies about her home and kids.
The kids being recruited for the Confederate Army. That's a big ol' NO SIR!


So, we got all the science/technical stuff out of the way on Friday and it was on to my personal favorite...HISTORY! In researching the area, I found a living history museum that simulates a 1850's town complete with actual buildings and people in period clothes. So, of course, I drug the fam!

In case anyone may be unaware, Oct. 18 is Georgia Secessionist Day. As in: The day Georgia seceded from the Union. Without being too political, I'm not so sure this is something to celebrate, but it is historical. And, in our case, it really worked to our favor! Westville was celebrating the day and had brought in a full "cast of characters" to man all of their buildings. We spent about 6 hours walking through the streets of the town, going into all the homes and shops, viewing the different crafts and chores, and talking to the people. We all really enjoyed it!

The experience reminded me again how glad I am to not have to make my own soap from animal fat (amazingly pleasant smelling, but still inherently icky), plant, harvest and prepare my own produce, wash clothes by hand and all the other amazingly difficult and time-consuming chores that women had to do on a daily basis back then. I really need to stop complaining about how time consuming folding and putting away dry clothes is!

2 comments:

Smiles from the Road said...

Great adventure experiencing the past! Glad you had such a great time. I too am glad for the modern day conveniences. Being a camper, I don't take them for granted.
Love you,
Gram Ava

Pa David said...

Looks like a good time was had by all. Debbie tells me there is also a big historical village in Tiffton. I remember during WWII that my mom and other ladies made soap out of bacon drippings. It worked great for laundry but still smelled a little like bacon. My grandmother would render out the lard when they butchered hogs and some of that was used to make soap.

Great pictures, Love, Pa David