Thursday, October 30, 2008

Providence Canyon State Park

Exploring


Looking down into Providence Canyon.


We hiked to the top of the canyons.

The kids found walking sticks to use.
I had to take a picture because it reminded of a certain Pa Gary!
My beautiful kids!

At the bottom of the canyon.

Aren't they cute?!?

Team Blankinship ready to start the hike.

I gave myself a deadline to post the last set of pictures of our Georgia weekend before the end of October...I am ahead of schedule!

On Sunday, we went to Providence Canyon State Park. This park was actually the reason I chose this section of Georgia for our trip this year. In researching it though, I realized there was only one hiking trail we could attempt (the 7 mile hike seemed a little much to ask of Reed and Cass) so we only needed one day to explore this park. That was when I started looking for nearby attractions and cities and found the Science center and Westville.

Providence Canyon was very pretty and a nice 3.5-4 mile hike. It is a huge reminder of how humans impact the environment. This canyon did not exist 160 years ago. It is a direct result of clearing the land for farming and removing the native flora that stopped/slowed erosion of the soils. Most, if not all of the trees you see in the pictures and in the canyons were planted by the CCC in the 1930s in an attempt to replace flora and slow the erosion down. One thing they planted that has had very unintended consequences was Kudzu vine. But we enjoyed the park and the hike.
And yes, if you are keeping track, Team Blankinship did not forsake the assembly. We did go to church. We attended the First Street Church of Christ in Cordele, GA. I'm just sayin'!

3 comments:

Tamra said...

Do I have the most adorable nephew and niece or what?! Looks like the good times just keep on rollin' for y'all. Love and you guys!

Tamra said...

That was love and MISS you guys in case you couldn't mind-read. :)

Becky said...

I caught up on the recent blogs and they are great! I loved the project good job Reed and mom and dad!The trip to GA looked amazing. I am jealous that you got to see the Science museum, hiking, and the history lesson! Team Blankinship goes on cool vacations!! Love you guys and I miss ya'll!
Becky