Monday, June 30, 2008

Sunday's Snakey Adventure

The snake...minus a head.
The snake, Reed's hands and feet and Cassidy's leg.
An impromptu science lesson including an in depth look at the contents of the intestines to see what Mr. Rattler had been eating before dining on squirrel.
Reed holding the skin and Cass the snake (aka dinner, but not hers or she wouldn't be smiling).
My manly, snake cooking husband!
The happy rattlesnake eating males!

The Blankinship family had a very interesting adventure/encounter yesterday! Our neighbor across the street stopped me while I was mowing the front yard (yes, I do this a few times a year...mostly for bragging rights) and asked if Randy was available. He actually said, "Is Randy inside? I know he is a "nature guy" and I have something really cool to show him." I sent Reed to get his Dad and asked if we could all come take a look. He said yes, but asked if the kids were okay with death.


So we all trekked across the street to Jim's driveway. And right there beside the concrete of his driveway was a 3-foot eastern diamondback rattlesnake with a squirrel about 1/3 of the way swallowed! The snake was perfectly still and had apparently been in that same spot and position for hours, leading Jim to believe it was dead from the dreaded, "Your eyes are too big for your stomach syndrome!" We were all admiring it and pointing out the rattle when I saw the body of the snake undulate a little. Just as I was pointing out that the snake was alive, up went the rattle and the sound effects began. That was pretty cool until the snake spit out the squirrel and coiled up in a defensive posture. (Not that I blame him, 5 humans standing around me and commenting while I eat a meal that is entirely too large makes me very defensive too!) Needless to say, I immediately ushered my protesting children back across the street and had to stand guard to keep Reed from rushing back over.


The snake slithered under Jim's truck, coiled up and was rattling away. Unfortunately, there did not seem to be a very effective way to trap the snake and let it go somewhere else. And we couldn't leave it alone as our street has many people and dogs that come and go...not to mention 2 cutie kids that I'm especially fond of! Suffice it to say, the snake did not survive its encounter with Jim's shovel. After the head had been removed, we went back across the street. Randy carefully showed the kids the fangs and explained again about what to do if they encountered a rattler and so on.


Of course, Reed had to carry the snake body around. And, of course, I had to take pictures. Randy decided to skin the snake and cure the skin. He also, this should come as NO surprise, decided to cook up the meat. And yes, I tried it. Cassidy would not even allow Randy to put it on her plate. Reed and Randy ate it up completely. I probably would not order it in a restaurant, but it was not bad. I ascribe to the motto: I can eat anything if you fry it in cornmeal and give me enough ketchup!


Ahhh...another exciting day at our house. Randy suggested taking some of the cooked meat over to our neighbor, but I didn't let him. They all already think we are hillbillies...no need to confirm anything. Not to mention, I didn't think Jim's wife would be very appreciative! When I called Lori (a good friend from church)later that evening and told her about it she said, "Only you guys." But that isn't true, is it...Aaron, Mark, Roger, Andy?!?


P.S. Thanks to David and Mark for identifying our pretty bug...a scarlet bodied wasp moth! Thanks, David for the correction.

3 comments:

Smiles from the Road said...

Since I ate shark the last time I was at your house - I am not surprised that you cooked up rattle snake. I am relieved to know that the snake is not still roaming your neighborhood! You are a very resourceful family when it comes to supplementing your grocery budget!
I love you all! I also love reading about your adventures!
Gram Ava

Pa David said...

A great snake story. I was surprised that Randy said that was the first rattlesnake (or snake of any kind) that he had eaten. Seems like we had some when he was small but he rarely forgets. Now Reed has a real tale to tell and a skin to back it up. By the way, a small detail, it was a wasp moth, not a moth wasp. A super neat bug by any name and a new one on me.

Anonymous said...

"According to the Rattlesnake Round-Up Texas website, rattlesnake meat is the most nutritious and healthful of all snake meats. It rivals chicken in its low cholesterol and beef in it's Vitamin B content. Evidently it is not only good for you, but you can also floss your teeth with its tongue. I do believe it's time to go snake-hunting! (I have a void in my freezer.)" -- Uncle Marky

"I am beside myself." -- Aunt Tamra

We love y'all!