Friday, July 11, 2008

Creativity?!?

Cassidy's creations...they're pink, of course!
Reed hard at work
Our aliens...mine is in the middle and looks mostly like a hamburger(can you say, food obsession?!?) I will say this: The two kids in the picture are the best things I ever had even a small part of "creating!"
My island dream - it's quiet there...see my blissful smile!
Spaghetti and meatballs...food again...I'm noticing a disturbing trend.

I follow a friend's blog (Hi! Ashley) and she recently posted a few really creative things: Elmo cupcakes for her son's birthday (super cute) and some homemade cream/berries yummy thing. So I started thinking about my creativity factor...not exactly my strong suit. I've said before and I'll say it again, "We are a mostly nature nerds." Of course, I will say that we are actually "toned down nature nerds." I've met some co-workers/ acquaintances of Randy's over the course of the years...'nough said.

At any rate, I've been thinking about encouraging creativity in the kiddos. I created art boxes for both of them this past week and they have been enjoying coloring, cutting (yes...I'm crazy enough to let them have some safety scissors even after the hair incident), gluing and taping. I did have to stop Cassidy from gluing her picture to Reed's door. I explained that the glue is for paper to paper and tape is for the door.

And I've been trying to get over my hatred of the VERY MESSY play dough. I'm thinking it might just be my children who only enjoy play dough in so far as they can scratch it into tiny pieces that grind into the table, grout and generally make a huge mess...not to actually create anything. So, I sat down with them to practice making things. Now, I'm no psychologist, but I think my own personal creations say something about me...me, alone on a beach with spaghetti...hmmmm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You all are AWESOME nature nerds! I was just thinking how we don't look at the animals and things we have around us enough! I guess we can always learn from each other. Wow- did they REALLY eat that rattle snake! 'nuf said! Love your playdoh creations!!!
:)

Rhonda said...

Arwen--Once again your "adventures" having me laughing--you have such a great writing style--but,Have you heard the saying "Be careful what you wish for"? Holly is alway wanting to create things that I cannot keep up and she never wants to throw out any of her drawings, paintings, or creations. It can be very cluttering. I am working on getting her to play outside--just not the past couple of days because of misquitoes. This summer she is learning to sew!