Monday, November 10, 2008

Hillsborough River State Park


The launch

A beautiful November day on a beautiful river

The hawk. I thought I had some better close up pictures, but they were all blurry.

A little blue heron and a turtle sharing a log.

Randy carried each of the kids over to inspect a
little tree frog warming up on a leaf in the sun.

The little tree frog warming up.

We spent another enjoyable weekend at Hillsborough River State Park. I must say though, it was pretty cold each night. The days were gorgeous and warm, but about 4 AM was pretty coldy! Needless to say, I slept well in my own bed last night.

I've already got the first load of laundry in the machine this morning...there is a mountain of laundry. Everything we took smells strongly of campfire, so even the blankets and such need to be washed. Yeah for me.
The only pictures I took were on our canoe trip on Saturday. We enjoyed a beautiful lazy trip up and then down a stretch of the slow moving Hillsborough River. We saw a number of interesting things, but I think our favorite was the hawk eating a snake. (If we were Aztec or Mayan, that might mean we were destined for royalty or at least royal enough for some hot cocoa.) Reed, the lover of reptiles, was quite upset that the hawk was eating a snake. In his mind, snakes are much higher on the "cool list" than hawks and, therefore, should not be prey.

I'm glad we went and glad to be home...the mark of a success camping trip. I considered, briefly, letting some of the air out of the air mattress or dripping water on Randy's pillow to make his tent experience REALLY awful in an effort to boost my campaign for a pop-up camper. But it would have upset my night sleep too so, obviously, I couldn't do it. The cold nights and restless kids did help my cause some. We'll see.

3 comments:

Tamra said...

I left another comment but it seems to have disappeared. I guess I'll wait and see if it mysteriously shows back up before trying to recreate it. You know...because that's such hard work and not at all easier than leaving a second comment which may, in fact, appear as a first and only comment. Alas and alack....

Love ya!

Smiles from the Road said...

Great Outdoors! Looks like you have some great camping close to home. I know spending time in the tent will help the bid for a pop-up! Camping always makes a person appreciate the conveniences of home - like running water etc. You saw some real nature events on your canoe trip! What about alligators?
Love you,
Gram Ava

Rhonda said...

What fun family memories you are creating for you and your kids...and I know you are too sweet of a wife to do anything deceiveing to get your way...never.