Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pileated Woodpecker








I was driving away from Reed's school today after his Honor Roll ceremony and I saw something,out of the corner of my eye, fly down and land in a driveway. It was a Pileated Woodpecker (see pictures.) They are rather impressive birds. Quite large...definitely big enough for woodpecker stew (hee hee) and rather strikingly colored. He was apparently intent on a drink and a bath. He didn't even care that I slammed on my brakes and reversed to get a better look and snap a few pictures. Again, as mentioned in a previous post...nature nerd. I did check my rear view mirror to make sure no one was behind me. Anyway, I thought I'd share my one measly "sighting" to try and make up for the fact that I am missing all of the great birds migrating through the Rio Grande Valley right now. Mom, when your eyes quit hurting from all the brightly colored orioles, tanagers and buntings, you can come over here and we will try and hunt up a pileated woodpecker. As evidenced by my recent encounter, they aren't very elusive!

No comments: