Friday, September 5, 2008

Equal Opportunity Bragging!

Cassidy writing her name...she's adding the missing I.
Her name.
So far she hasn't asked me why we gave her a long name
while her brother's has only 4 letters.

She decided to write Reed's name on the driveway.It was backwards and has some obvious issues with the "E", but I am VERY proud!


Lest anyone worry, I am equally proud of Miss Cassidy and have NO trouble bragging about her! She is learning and growing so much. I have really enjoyed watching her explore the things that interest HER over the past year. Once Reed began Kindergarten last year, she had 3 days at our house without someone bigger planning all the activities. I was amazed at how quietly she played AND (this is huge) how she would play BY HERSELF! Puzzles, Legos, play doh - she really likes to manipulate objects and bring order.


And she is a big helper in the housework department. My mom taught her about allowances and getting paid for doing jobs...so I keep some quarters handy and she frequently requests a job so she can get her allowance. She can't remember the word allowance, but she describes it as "putting money in her little cup."


With Reed back in school now, she and I decided to work on her letters. She actually enjoys sitting down with flashcards or practicing writing. She knows more letters than I think she does. We had not worked on the letter "R", but she wrote Reed's name on the driveway.


(This is new territory for me. Reed NEVER voluntarily sat down to practice letters or writing...so we didn't really do it at home until he began bringing home homework last year. Praise God that he isn't behind in his class!)


Cass is in preschool 3 mornings a week this year and due to her birthday (Sept. 16), she has another year of preschool after this one. We've got plenty of time to master reading basics.


In short, I love having a few days with Cassidy to myself. She is a delight to be around - an incredibly happy spirit. She is one of the smiliest kids...even when she is systematically destroying something...she's just smiling away and really thinking how proud you'll be of her. There isn't a mean-spirited bone in her body (well, unless Reed tries to take over what she is doing...then watch out - she is no small fry).She is incredibly rambunctious and she wears me out...not to mention frequently bruising her spinning, twirling, jumping, running self. One sweet and, unfortunately, sincere lady at church suggested we purchase a helmet for Cass to protect her head and face. She is definitely a rough and tumble princess (all tangled curls and pink fingernails)and I am SO proud of her!

2 comments:

Chera said...

Cassidy sounds like a fun gal!! Kalyn is in 1st grade and LOVES reading and doing homework! Sheldon, on the other hand, is 4 years old and I have the hardest time ever just to get him to work on letters. It's amazing how different they are...like yours are!! ;o)

Smiles from the Road said...

How wonderful to have special time with Cassidy! It is good to just have "girl" time! I am proud of her good work ethic too!
Love your posts!
Gram Ava