Saturday, September 27, 2008

Pride Goeth Before the...Explosion!


Well, Team Blankinship survived the day at Disney's Animal Kingdom. I'll post pictures in the next couple days. I know everyone will be anxiously awaiting those...bated (yes, this is the correct spelling - I googled it and now know what it means exactly and who used it first (Shakespeare) and since (Mark Twain) AND, you'll be glad to know, I shared ALL of those random facts with Randy...who was glad, I'm sure!) breath.


BUT that is NOT what this post is about. I had an experience yesterday that could have resulted in losing my Domestic Diva status...if I had Domestic Diva status...if there was such a thing as Domestic Diva status.


I decided to make Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls from my "hot out of my mailbox" Taste of Home magazine. Everything started out so grandly. I was ON MY GAME! I got the kids up, dressed, groomed, fed and loaded in the car to go to school in great time. I had planned my morning THE NIGHT BEFORE, perused the new recipe I was going to make and put the grocery list in my purse (lest it meet the same fate as the hair coupon...see previous post). I even had time to stop by the grocery store before dropping Cassidy off at preschool.


The dough came together beautifully. It rose appropriately, I rolled it, buttered and sugared it and sliced it in to 24 ENORMOUS cinnamon rolls. Those, too, rose exactly as they were supposed to. I baked them up and boy, did my house smell good. Cassidy was salivating. And I'll be perfectly honest...I WAS FEELING QUITE PROUD.


They finished baking and Cassidy and I iced those bad boys and then (this will come as no surprise) we had one. It was good...real good. So, I'll say it again...I WAS FEELING QUITE PROUD.


Cassidy asked to make up some jello. I got out the items we would need and put the tea kettle on to boil the water. The dog need to go outside to "use the facilities" so I took her out. While waiting outside with Skipper to finish up, I hear a loud crashing sound followed by a scream. I recognized immediately that this was not a "I'm hurt" scream, but a "I'm terrified" scream. So I'm trying to hurry the dog up and yelling through the glass sliding doors at Cassidy to calm down. I race inside and Cassidy is yelling, "It blew up! It blew up!" I look over into the kitchen and realize 4 things:

1. I turned the wrong burner on to boil the water

2. One of the 13 x 9 glass Pyrex pans of cinnamon rolls has EXPLODED and glass is EVERYWHERE (including *gasp* all over the other pan of rolls).

3. The cinnamon rolls that were in that pan are now sitting ON THE burner and are ON FIRE!

and

4. My daughter is running around with no shoes on!


Here is the end result:


Cassidy came through the entire incident COMPLETELY UNSCATHED! And, I have to tell you, I am so thankful that God protected her from any injuries...serious or minor.


I'm down to 1 glass pyrex 13x9 pan AND, to add insult to injury, I HAVE NO CINNAMON ROLLS!


It took me 3 hours to clean up the mess as glass was in everything on the counter(i.e. my purse) and had exploded all the way into the dining room, laundry room and kids bathroom in addition to all over and under everything in the kitchen AND I HAVE NO CINNAMON ROLLS!


My floors are SPOTLESS and, in case you were wondering, I HAVE NO CINNAMON ROLLS!


So, there you have it. The demise of a domestic diva...gone up in fiery blaze of cinnamon rolls and charred glass!


3 comments:

Smiles from the Road said...

Pa Gary has thanked God in every meal time prayer today (the day after the explosion)that Cassidy was kept safe. She has Becky's twin Guardian Angel is what we think!
Love you all,
Gram Ava

Becky said...

I have to tell you I am reading this and crying I am laughing so hard! Atleast you and Cass both got to try a cinnamon roll before the big bang! I am glad I am not the only one in the family who has "minor" mishaps in the kitchen!
Love you,
Becky

Chera said...

Oh my goodness! This post made me laugh...I'm sure it wasn't funny the moment though! I'm glad Cassidy didn't get hurt and that y'all got to savor that one cinnamon roll..now you've got to make more!! ;o)